Meeting the Past: Food
Let’s get started! Watch this video on how you might have had to catch and cook your own food if you’d been born in the Stone Age:
What do you think about having to do that for every meal?
Start the below video at about 3:00. You don’t have to watch the whole video, but watch at least 5 minutes.
Meeting the Past: Art
Let’s look at the art they made!
- Watch the video above.
- Pages 22-23 in “Great Art in 30 Seconds“
- Pages 12-21 in “Timelines of Art”
- Visit this website and look at the art they left behind. Click on the play button when the website loads for a virtual tour of the Lascaux Cave:
Use this website and the Lascaux Cave tour above to look at the significance of these paintings. Answer the questions below and add them to your Ancient Civilizations Journal:
- How long ago is it estimated that the cave paintings were done?
- What are the six areas the Lascaux Cave is divided into?
- The cave is monitored to preserve the paintings. They have had to battle what since about the year 2000 that threatened the paintings?
- About how many total paintings are there?
- What are some animals you can identify in the paintings?
- Why does research show the paintings are not decorative?
- What images do you see in the paintings (other than animals)?