Take the vocabulary and write it down on flashcards. Then, write the definitions of the words (with the context of history) on additional flashcards:
- Oral Storytelling
Aboriginal Australian Food
To learn about Aboriginal Australian food:
- Watch the video
- Look at the recipes in the Ancient Eats textbook/cookbook on pages 61, 95, and 127
- Read the text passage on pages 134-136
- Answer the questions in the Student Workbook:
- Which of the three recipes you read would you like to try?
- What two large animals did Aboriginal Australians eat that are unique to Australia?
- They ate what kind of ant that stored sweet nectar in their abdomen and got as big as a grape?
- What is meant by “bush foods”?
- What fruits, vegetables, and nuts on page 136 would you like to try?
Art from Australia
Watch the videos showing the didgeridoo and ancient art showing the animals they saw. Remember, this is not a civilization that died out – people still live in Australia and practice this music and art!
Aboriginal Australia Worksheets and Projects
You will get access to some things that will not be due until the end of our unit:
- Avatar Worksheet
- Gaming Worksheet
- Scenario Details
- Project Choices
Look at the Avatar/Character worksheet. You will want to decide which option you want to do. Read through it and see what kind of information you need to find. Is there anything that you can already fill out after what you did today?
Look at the gaming worksheet. You can start playing the scenarios, looking at the abilities, units, buildings, and more that are unique to your civilization.
Look over the project options. You need to decide on what project you would like to do, but it won’t be due until our Aboriginal Australia unit’s last day (Lesson 5). Don’t forget to write what you chose in your student notebook:
- Make a Meal
- Make a Family Meal Plan
- Art Interpretation
- Historical Map
- Teach This Topic